Thursday, September 11, 2008

Objectionable ?!??

(OK. This is a detour from the usual theme of my blogging. But does touch up on some different view points )
I ve always encouraged people to communicate more than required. As something that may be obvious for one may not be obvious for all.
Sometimes we do not communicate thinking, whats there to communicate ? It is commonsense, so obvious. All would know it ! Nah .. not really !
In our cafetaria there is a poster of the Karv-Maga program (placed on behalf of the health club ).
Karv-Maga is an Israeli martial arts / self defence technique. I do not know anything about it, however, I have seen this poster everyday during lunch, for many days now.
The text says - "Karv-Maga ! Israeli Military Tactics for self defense".
I never thought so much about this text.
Today, I received a strong rebutal via. storming mails, that this advertisement contains objectionable words "Israeli Military Tactics".

I was also told, it is against HR policy to use those words publicly !
Huh ! Was not obvisous to me after 11 yrs of working in this company !
Was not obvious to me sentence segments like "Israeli Military Tactics" are objectionable !!!
Is "Indian Military Combat techniques" objectionable ? well.. none of them seems to be a FOUR letter word to me ;)
But the point is - just because the bad in it is not visible to me, it is not bad.
I wont fight this battle and order removal of the poster from the cafetaria. Not worth it !

No comments: