Friday, September 5, 2008

Leading the unknown !

I do like the PTMs (Parent Teacher Meetings) that kind of forces me to see my kids without colored glasses.
To top that off, the school where my kids go to, have a unique way of welcoming the parents.
They dont hesitate to teach the parents without the hefty tuition fee that they normally charge :)
Last PTM, they had a small competition for the parents. As usual, there were more moms than dads in PTM.
They made groups of 10 parents each. And asked us to choose a leader from each team.
I asked, the leader needs to lead what ? The answer was - "that's the unknown, you need to choose a leader who will lead the team when it is known".
I had a few other parents in my team. All others were moms. And although all were capable of leading, they all pointed the finger to me to be the leader of the team.
The leader of the unknown.
They the game unfolded. The organizer announced that each team will be supplied 100 straws ( the ones we use to drink soft drinks and juices).
And the game is about fixing the straws straws in the leaders head / hair. The team that gets the maximum, is the winner.
Damn, I has so many women in the team with plenty of flowing and knoted hair. Too bad I was chosen the leader :(
There was only one team, where a woman was bestowed the leadership and that team ended up winner.
Huge lesson to learn. There is no one leader in a team for all events to lead. We all need to be leaders and followers depending on what we are leading
at that point of time.

No comments: