Sunday, January 25, 2009

(One more) Peril of Urban living ..

I had to get the bi-cycles serviced today. Why is this even a job worth mentioning ?

There is no single place in the city unless I go 15 kms in to the underbelly of crowded central places, where a cycle can be serviced.

If I step out of my house, there are umpteen number of places fixing CARs, there are two big CAR dealers opposite. Big motor bike show rooms.

No Cycle repair shop !!

So, I had to put the cycle in the trunk of my sedan, with one wheel in and one wheel hanging out and went in to rural area not knowing where the road would actually end. I came across a few villages interestingly displaying all big real estate players Villa projects, and yet no cycle stores.

After going through what seems like 30 mins of drive exactly away from the City, did come across a small town / village market area and there was a big cycle store.

It was minor job indeed. One more thing, I need to add to DIY.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a child we grew up very much dependent on our bi-cycles. My village to the school in town was 7 Kms. When I was in class 6, since then till 10th, I drove my bi-cycle to school. And any place it went bad, there was some one close by who could fix it.

In 1995 Bangalore, I used to live in Indira Nagar and the Office was in Koramangala ( no inner ring road that time). 16 Kms. All I had was a bi-cycle. Never had a need of a motorized vehicle.

(Then there was a break of many years in US .. that spoilt many habbits and created many new ones )

2004 Bangalore. Back in Bangalore. Living in Kormangala, office in Shanthi Nagar. 7 Kms. I never thought why I would need anything other than a bi-cycle again. So, I put on my helmet and started biking.

But the time had really changed when I was away ! Really !!! It was practically impossible to ride a bike from Kormangala to anywhere in by 2004.

Today, my home, my work, my grocery store, my DIY shop, movie theatre .. (almost) everything is within 5 kms of biking. All on service road where one can still bike ! So, after years of not biking in Bangalore, 2009 - again biking year for me ! !


When I went to buy the bi-cycles, I had to go quite some distance. To the busy market area behind the commercial streets to buy one. But its ok as you buy only once. Transporting back to home (15 kms) costs Rs400/-. So chose the drive the new cycle all the way down. That was risky !

Now, only if I can find a place where I can service this nearby :( Until it is true DIY for me !!!

No comments: