Saturday, January 31, 2009

Acknowledgement - The most critical part of "Good" Communication

Last night was one of those fateful nights, with a screaming customer, a ton of e-mails floating, 50 executives interested in knowing real time status.
2 engineers working to get there. Everything was under control so to speak. Fix already verified. Time, when panic should end. But it was reaching fever pitch, may be it was Friday in that part of the world. But it was already early morning Saturday here in India.
When I got caught in catching up of many e-mails floating in, and arranging other process stuff, I was wondering why people panicking so much ?
It was a long night of working.. and around 6AM, my elder son got up as I promised him to go bi-cycling with him in the morning. I was still busy on 10 instant message windows. He dressed up and came to me asking for help to tie the helmet strap. I registered that. But was in middle of a conversation. I thought, I would complete the thought and then help him. He stood there for a minute and then SCREAMED !!!!!
I asked , "why you screaming ? I ll do it once I finish typing".
His response was - "How would I know you heard it ? I thought you did not even hear me ?".
Then I realized a small thing - I ve not acknowledged to a few guys who sending me e-mails for update. Because, I had put my own filter regarding who needs to know.
Just to stop the flooding, I sent the status all over again, this time copying all the people getting excited. And also mentioned that next update will only come on Sunday. Flooding stopped !
I do acknowledge now that acknowledgment is must in any meaningful communication to happen and to prevent screaming !
The morning bi-cycling did not happen for me !! But there will be another morning tomorrow.

No comments: