Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Combat Position 3 : Bend Over !!!

Vikram :

I had a really bad day today after 1:1 with Rob today. Rob is my boss now. Relatively new to the org.

Betaal :

what happened ?

not happy with performance ?

ePM discussion ?

Vikram :

not there yet. because I am going to Quality team and I guess he is upset

he is always worried that I am not going to complete my release work !

Betaal :

hmm.. ok

Release is almost at its fag end and you are staying in the same company.

I am sure you wont mind doing double work if needed for few days

Vikram :

he said the perception of my management team is that I am not doing the release work

Shawn is the one working on that...

He never joins meeting and he does not really know

Betaal :

Shawn does bring in all the learning from previous release work.. however, You are doing all the work

Vikram :

yes. somehow he got more trust and I can not never Rob's trust

Vikram :

rob does not really listen sometimes and he likes to do power struggle

Betaal :

frown

Then you are better of moving to the new team

Vikram :

he is reason made me thinking of moving

he is very old style manager

Vikram :

direct order

Betaal :

this will pass. everything comes in phases

chill

you are doing great

Vikram :

thanks...

Last week I was 24x7 on the release work !

I almost lived in buiding 24 last week

well, Rob will never know this for sure. I tried to tell him once but he said I need to stop micro managing defects

I really don't want to but this is the only way to get attention

Betaal :

its all prospective

these are two conflicting things

When a manager does not like someones job

he should not be upset about the move out too

Vikram :

he gave me two things today:

1. I have to finish the release, otherwise I can not move

2. If he puts I am not motivated to do thing in ePM. What will my future manager think

I think I need to talk to my HR manger

Betaal :

nah.. not such a good idea !

Vikram :

OK

Betaal :

no one has ever challenged mgr and gotten anything unless the mgr himself is not rated well

Talk smooth with him..

make it look like you are accepting the feedback

Vikram :

OK

Betaal :

make it sound like you ll take action on all

Being / looking submissive in this case get best result. trust me on this one

Vikram :

..hmmm. I fought back when he talked to me.

I guess that makes things worse

Betaal :

fighting back in these situations

always make things worse

that makes him feel he is not a good mgr and does not know right info

thats where ego sets in

Vikram :

but he really can be a better manager if he listens

Betaal :

That is true

but first control your damage

and then hope him to be a better mgr

Vikram :

what if I think he is hopeless frown

Betaal :

if he is not doing things right.. some one else will catch him

over time smile

no one goes scot free for long

Vikram :

what if I don't respect him?

Betaal :

fake it

Vikram :

M. but maybe I have more power and I can win in the end since I do know a lot of people in this company smile

Betaal :

You will win if you are right.. anyway !

at the end.. good behavior will win. You talking about Rob to people you know may have other impacts on you !

There is a old management mantra

"When Peter talks to me about Paul, I get to know more about Peter"

Vikram :

OK

Betaal :

Keep your eye on your short term goal i.e. moving to the quality team. That will be easier if you play along.

You will have plenty of time to set things right later.

No comments: