Monday, July 21, 2008

Beware of what you wish for !!!!!

Vikram and Betaal got together for a cup of cappuccino. Its not been a heavy day so to speak. Business as usual.

Just some small nagging thing on Vikram's head. And that showed on his face.

Betaal: What's up Vikram ! Something bothering you ?

Vikram: Yes ! I ve this guy who is constantly asking for a promotion. But I know he is not ready. I want to see him doing the work of next level before he gets in to the next grade. But its been a nagging thing. At the same time, he is doing great as per he is current grade, so I do not want to tell him something that makes him feel bad and he walks. A good amount of business is resting on him. This has put me in a corner. I need to make up my mind soon.

Betaal: Hmmmm !!!! Let me tell you a story of a lion and a fox that I heard from a 4 yr old.

The lion is getting old. Not fast enough to chase and catch his preys. Not able to hunt effectively.
A fox, that lives nearby and lives on the left over of the lion, clearly sees that over the days and gets and idea.

He walks up to the lion, and proposes, "Lets team up ! I ll stand near the curve of the path leading to the dense part of the forest where your cave is. I ll watch out for the animals coming by. You happily relax in your cave. I ll signal you when the animal is close. You jump and make it your prey. My commission is simple. I ll share the food with you."

Lion agrees to it. And both of them happily hunt and eat for some time to come.
After many such huntings, fox thinks, why should I always play the second fiddle ? I should hunt now and ask Lion to watch out. I have been watching the process for a while.

Understandably, the fox believed in it. He wanted to glory of being the hunter and not the helper. So, he started nagging the lion to swap the job.

One day lion allowed him. He knew, he is not doing the right thing. He was not confident about the fox in the role of a hunter.

But just to avoid the nagging, he does say YES.

Next day, lion is watching the curve. An elephant was coming on that path. He signaled. The fox jumped to hunt. Elephant squashed the fox to death.

The fox died. The lion starved until its death after that.

Vikram and Betaal both finished the discussion. Coffee was over. Time for other meetings.

Vikram: Thanks Betaal ! Catch you later !!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The perfect way to screw someone's career is by promoting them when he/she is not ready, just because he/she wants it".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: