Monday, October 6, 2008

The Termetor ...

Around 2000 this small sleepy town, where so far the only form of economy was govt jobs, and only form of wealth creation is Black money through govt. employment.
In the real estate scene, luxury apartments were beginning in this city. This is where I booked one apartment in a good locality.

All total 12 apartments were being built. Out of which, I had one, my wife's parents had one, and her uncle bought one. Out of the rest nine, 8 of them were also bought by people known to us very well.
So, strategically it was good for my parents. All known people. Good locality. And I could buy the place literally over phone from USA, without having to go through usual hassles of buying a house.
The trouble was waiting for all of us in that 9th apartment, that the builder kept saying, he has kept it to himself.

Once all of them moved in, we came to know that the last apartment has been given to Anjana. There are folk tales / legends about what kind of pressures, and blackmailing made the builder to do that. But I do not have any evidence of that.

Rest 11 common people did not really have to worry much. Infact with Anjana, her personal rifle born securities, added some security to the place.
Yes - she is awarded armed security by govt !!!

Life went along very well. She even participated in my brother's marriage. Used to call my parents as Papa and Mama. Whenever she fell sick, as no other doctor would be scared in the city to treat her, it would be my brother making a visit to neighbors house.

The good stuff lasted around 4 years. No issues.

Then one day, all of us witnessed a bloody out burst. Mid night, she was either intoxicated or in her second personality, hitting the journalist boy friend black and blue in the hall way of the apartment. Its the same journalist who was the witness to her rape case a 5 years ago in 1999.

My sister tried to calm her down and she started swearing at her (and her husband). Threw shoes at her.

I think the bad phase started that time. No one saw the journalist after that in the apartment complex.

Few days later, after a calm morning walk my father was returning to apartment and saw her again is bloody mood hitting the security guard of the apartment who happened to have dozed off. The poor guy was a part time student from a village, working as a security guard and studying through the night under the lobby light. Again, the degree of beating was severe. No one retaliates to her, as she has her own armed body guards given by govt. 24x7.

My father this time tried to intervene and got slap. And she told him, that he should vacate the apartment in 3 hours.

He was shocked and did not take it seriously. Next few days were like living in hell. She would cut off birds and throw blood in to our apartment. Throw raw eggs. Her house trash. It became unhygienic mess. Police said, can not do anything. Neighbors closed their doors and watched. That time, only my father and my mother were there. my brother in law wanted to defend. She threatened her with a "attempt to rape" court case.

When I came to know about it, I called her up and tried to reason with her. Same threat for me to.
So, finally my parents had to leave and find other accommodation.

Funny thing is, all other neighbors who were watching the show, became victims one a month ! For last 3 years, she is the only one living there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day before yesterday, I went to meet her again. Trying to ask for a solution. Everyone warned me not to go. I just tried anyway.

She did have a chat with me for a few minutes, but no solutions yet :(

3 comments:

DivSu said...

You had a chat with THE Anjana? No fireworks yet? ;)

Betaal said...

DivSu: I did go there with a lot of courage and with my wife. Everyone in Orissa warns that no male species should go close to her. The main gate was locked. We knocked and waited for 15 mins, she did not open. Then my wife jumped the wall and went in and buzzed the door bell (she is much more adventurous than me and not a male species ;)

Then I entered, and had a brief discussion with her. She said, until she is in there, no one can come back to live there. Discussion ended.

Abhinav said...

It is crazy to what lengths people go to, not for their own progress but to trouble others :( And to think, the whole administration and local junta cannot collectively do something about a single miscreant.