Saturday, August 29, 2009

For a few dollars more !

This is not Betaal's usual dose of corporate gyan ! This is a true life experience that came last evening, when I was jogging on the shoreline of a lake, while my kid was in a near by tennis class.

100 meters from the lakes, sky scrapers, India's upwardly-mobile upper middle class residences. Rich, civilized and law abiding citizens.

In the 100 meters between the sky scrapers and the lake, are small patch of slums, narrow un-motrable roads, a temple. A stark contrast with the richness and posh-ness few meters away. The slum holds India's poor. The one's who work as domestic helps few meters away, in small temporary houses.

Nevertheless, its a good place to jog in the evening. Because of the lake and road that are not frequented by vehicles.

Yesterday's jogging was not usual. In my second round, I saw a small gathering on the road. 5-6 people from rich side of the line and 5-6 kids from the poor side of the line, all gathered to watch a drunk man beating a woman brutally.

All spectators from a distance to this act happening out in the open on a road.

Took me by surprise. Some people even watch it for a few moment and then walk away. Small motorbikes watch, honk and pass through the live incidence as if nothing is happening.

I stopped and asked the man, why is he beating the woman. The man said, with a brick in his hand, - "I would smash your head if you interfere. She is my wife and I can beat her anytime I like".

I persisted on knowing the reason. So much so that he engaged with me in a conversation. Something that I wanted.

I took the opportunity ! Asked him a few questions -

Me - "You from Rajasthan?"

Man - "Nope ! Nepal"

Me - "That was my second guess. I am from a place very close to Nepal. I love visiting Kathmandu, but with all recent violence in Nepal not been there in last few years."

Man - "There is no tension now. All settled in Nepal"

Me - "Very happy to know that. How many kids you have and are they here or in Nepal ?"

Man - "4 kids. 2 sons, 2 daughters. They are here. I am 40 yrs old. I was born in "Falguna (Spring)" of 1970. My name is Saran Singh. And sir - if you think of calling police (pointing to the phone in my hand) I do not care. As even police has given up hope on Saran Singh. I can beat up police too and put my khukri through them if they interfere"

Me - "Great. You look so strong. And you are like my younger brother as his name is also Saran. And he is around your age. By the way, I also have 2 sons and 2 daughters. Are your sons elder ? "

Saran - "No. Girls"

Me - "Mine too. Girls are elder. By the way, if your previous slap would have hit your wives eye who would take care of four kids ?"

Saran had softened a bit by then. The woman's crying has subsided. The crowd was thickening a bit.

The conversation went on for almost 30 mins more. But it was completely irrelevant to the act. In the mean time, I asked the woman to go to her job for which she was getting late. She requested as she left, to drop the Saran at his house. I walked with Saran to his house as he was explaining me the reason why he was hitting his wife. It was for Rs. 100. The man gave her Rs. 500/- and asked him to pay back Rs. 400/- to another person who will come home to pick up some dues. And keep the change Rs 100, for his drinks in the evening as he needs it to recover from 3 nights of continuous work he has done for that Rs. 500 saving.

The woman by mistake has given all Rs 500/- to the due collector.

Rs. 100 ( $2) has cost her some blood and pain and cost the man his only means of recovering from long hard 3 days of work.

I saw him off at his house and asked him to try solve problems without violence one time in life. Next time I see him, I ll ask him that. He said, 'certainly' !

No comments: