Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Bright" .. but not so much !

(Back to blogging after a small break)

I am coaching / mentoring unknown colleagues last 2 days as part of an HR initiative. Every year, this event, is probably more informative for me than to the people who come seeking guidance.

I get to know people from other departments, with problems and issues, which are common to the ones I know - only at the highest level. Like changing the career track effectively to match someone's interest, or dealing with a bad manager, or setting short term long term goal for oneself etc.

But at the granular level, the problems are different. The dynamics are different. Good learning opportunity about other function within a mammoth of an organization.

One such case caught my attention yesterday !

Young chap, fresh from college - just a year or so in to the job, had this concern.

He has been an outstanding student all through his studies. His parents and teachers and relatives have always referred to him as a "bright" guy ! They have all been proud of his abilities and accolades, which he seems to have plenty.

His current problem is - his existing management does not think he is particularly "Bright". His abilities are not underlined or high-lighted.

Young friend has clearly lost sleep over this new discovery about himself ! He has done his set off soul-searching !

I politely asked his permission - if I can as personal questions. Which he agreed to !

My questions were simple -

1. How many siblings he has ? Ans: none

2. day Scholar or hostel ? Ans: Day Scholar

3. Who filled his forms when he appeared in entrance exam ? Ans: Dad helped

4. Did he choose his branch in engineering ? Ans: Uncle, who is in IT industry for a while, told him what he should pick and in which college !

5. Did he think his uncles decision was right ? Ans: Did not have any opinion either way !

6. What are the parameters based on which everyone thought he is "Bright" ? Ans: Marks / grades

I am sure there is nothing wrong in all the answers he gave. But there is a pattern that I noticed.

A pattern where, the brightness is mere reflection of others light than from own fire !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent him back with an simple exercise for next 4 weeks and asked him to contact me again. Hope he completes the exercise and brings me the journal !

I am sure, he can be as Bright in his job ! Just that the self ignition need to happen. And that's what the suggested exercise is supposed to do.

1 comment:

DivSu said...

Wow! Can we also do this exercise Betaal-ji? :)