Thursday, August 21, 2008

Importance of a Role Model - The story of M&M

I am not a huge cricket fan, but I do keep a tab on scores and wins and losses etc. Moreover, if there is any new, innovative revolution happening in this game, I am hooked. By being an Indian, its really difficult to get cricket out of DNA completely.

Now, India is visiting the neighboring island of Sri Lanka for a series. India team is pretty strong now. It has come off its lows 2-3 yrs ago. Its young, fearless and has a
good "Can Do" attitude. That makes the game interesting.

With this backdrop, I was not expecting India to struggle against Sri Lanka.

And I was wrong. Sri Lanka has taken the game to next level with one new discovery - "Mendis".

They have reinvented Murli in Mendis. Amazing new style and deception that will take world cricket 5 years to come to terms with.

Mulri and Mendis ( M&M) - reel the wickets with precision and frequency never thought of earlier.

So, what makes Sri Lanka to have a Mendis right when Murli is in the last mile of his career ? Why have not other countries found their own Mendis ?

Ain't the athletes trying in other places ? Of course they are.

I do not have a clear answer to this question.

However, on my way back from Goa, on the flight I was listening to the 12th Chapter of Bhagbat Geeta (The Bhaktiyoga). That could have answered my question to certain extend.

In Bhaktiyoga Arjuna asks Krishna, "There are many sages who do everything to know the Bramhan and do rigerous practices to attain it. While I see others, more earthly people trying to pray you and be your devotee. Which group of people are right ? Who will succeed in attaining you and the Bramhan ?"

To which Krishna responds, "The people who are becoming my devotee will have a better chance of getting there sooner. Although, the sages who are practicing all the right things to achieve or attain Bramhan would also get there, they may take more time or some of them may not even get there. They know all the best practices that they have to master. Despite that they wont all get there.

In the other hand the people who have surrendered their ears and heart and mind to me, will get there easily.

Because, they have a role model. I am their role model. They will look up to me, the Bramhan itself. And they will follow the practices with devotion. They wont questions certain things. They completely surrender and trust me. I am happy to be their role model."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May be to achieve the level of perfection like Mendis, we all need a role model like Murli.
A live, kicking, real Role Model. Just knowing what are the right things to do, may not be enough.

No comments: