Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Bugged down by others expectations

One thing I am constantly battling for last 3-4 weeks is, scores of people coming to me and almost demanding / quizzing me a blue print for their growth in the organization.

Since I took on a new opportunity to build a new team in India, a lot of the people come to me and almost think I am sitting on a pile of coupons for free growth / promo.

There are different types though.

1.  Some who directly go down to their need. How they clearly want to grow and not growing. And should avail this opportunity ! Not interested in knowing "why they are not growing yet"

2. Some more smarter. They come try to convince me, what they bring to the table and to my team, before they slip in to what they expect

Some are genuine, want to do something new, without any expectation. And these are the people who are very very secured in their capabilities. They never have to state what they want. They focus and do their work, and their expectations get filled up on their own over the time.

But the ratio of such people with no expectation is very very minute. I am ok with this. Should not bug me down. However, there is a twist.

Quite a bit of my old team people come in and talk. Their point of view is different. They say, when I was leading them, they handed over their growth to me and focused on work. Now that I am moving out, forming something new, they feel cheated.

Especially they do not like the bit, that I am not opening my arms and taking my old team people to build the new one (which will be the easiest for me). Because I do not want to break my old team.
But the counter argument is, its a personal choice and freedom issue. People want to work in my new team, they should be able to apply and compete for it.

Sighh.. !!! No easy answer..

No comments: