Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Curious case of IT ..

This is by far my best interaction with the IT department that is supposed to help through IT issues with office computer, emaling etc.

Some time around end of November, I opened a case -

"I can not decline any meeting from my calendar with a 'comment'". If I am silently deleting it, without any comment to the person who invited me to the meeting, there is no issue. but in case there is a comment (which there should be - otherwise how would the person know why I am declining the meeting ? ) it throws an error and the decline notice does not go away.

-> The first person in IT who was assigned to this (In our company, which has a dream of being #1 IT company in the world -  has IT  outsourced to IBM) tried a few things. Like removing my e-mail account and re-establishing it. It took me 3 hrs to get back my folders etc. And then excused herself saying, as I use a MAC I need to call up another queue.

I tried to explain, this has nothing to with MAC because the error says "HTTP error" and there is no such thing running on MAC to return that error.

Logic does not work with IT dept. She said, she can not help but following up asking, whether she can move the state of the case to "Resolved" state.

-> I tried the same thing, declining a meeting from a web client on a Windows machine, and opened another case. This time was funnier. The person read through the details etc. but wanted to troubleshoot only when I am connected to Wired ethernet network. What crap !! I explained, I can do "HTTP" to the world from wherever I am connected.

Again - logic has no place. She politely asked, if she can move my case to "Resolved" state and before I answered she did.

-> I did a bit more experimentation - removed my calendar delegate / my admin assistant and noticed the problem going away. So, I opened a new case with "Calendar decline with comment does not work from web based interface on any platform, whether I am connected to wired company network or logging in through VPN from outside. It however, works when I remove my delegate from configuration.

This one takes the cake. The third IT Engineer picks up the case, goes through all patiently, politely, then says - OK.. so your problem goes away if you remove your delegate. Can you try that ?

I did it again. removed the delegate and problem went away. She was very happy, and said "Thank God the problem is resolved" and moved the case to "Resolved" state ;)


No comments: