Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Does information help decision making ?

To a lay-person it may not even look like a valid question. Of course, information, the right ones, in the right time do help in decision making.

I am going to narrate two recent situations from my daily life, and these events do repeat in one of the following pattern for rest of the days.

- In a customer escalation situation, which needed a fix, usual life.
We were talking about a fix directly with customer, that the intermediate teams like service delivery, account team etc. like. They want us to pass on all the information to them, and they do the relaying. I know what you are thinking - "In-efficient" ? I am with you !

Now, in this first event, I provided all information that indicates that there is no chance of any collateral of this fix to the intermediate teams. But they still could not confidently tell the customer that there is no risk to this fix. When that question was asked, they looked for me on the call where I said "No Risk what so ever" ! Until then it was beating around the bush !

- The second event was more interesting. Similar situation. I did not have 100% information myself. Neither did the intermediate teams and the customer. And no wonder anyone was taking a decision on how to close this issue. But the time dragged on. And one of them took a decision to close.

So, information amount is not always aiding decision making. Decision making is coming from peoples risk taking ability and gut-feel.

No comments: