Friday, December 26, 2008

Beats my expectation !!!

Past 2 weeks have been really hectic on the personal front. Anyone living in India (must be true for most countries too), does not really hope to be scrutinized by Income Tax dept.

And I was the selected one. The first notice from them, as usual, went to a place where I used to live 12 yrs ago. I wonder how the database really works. I ve been filing returns each year and that has the current address. They sent another one and I responded to that asking for extension, as it got to after the date they wanted me to be there.

That was quite surely made the govt. people angry !! Then started the threat calls. If you don't show up in an hour in a certain office, we will fine you Rs. 44Lkh types. That was last Friday.

So, I thought, I should better show up. But all the documents they asked from 2004 and 2005 time frame, were NOT there. I just thought I should show up anyway.

Then asking around, figured out there are couple of my other colleagues in the same boat. And they all running to that office for last few months. They all suggested me, be ready for long ordeal and to explain every transaction in your bank account and credit card, few at a time. For all of that you need to physically show up in front of the IT officer, where there will be no respect for your time. And eventually, pay some bribe and get out of it.

I was not surprised, as this is how most of India govt. depts work ! At the same time, I was thinking, why should it be that way for the employed people whose income is from pretty much a single source and every things that exchange hands goes through tax deduction at source ?

So, Monday the ordeal started. I appointed a guy to show up on my behalf but cut a deal with him that, he would let me talk over phone, when his gets to meet the officer.

To cut a long story short, 3 visits, 22 action items and clarifications - case closed today (Friday). Exactly one week. IT officer kept all the appointment time she gave. No bribe / illegal money was exchanged.

A pleasant surprise indeed ! I now, really want to meet this IRS officer and say Thanks personally !

No comments: