Sunday, October 22, 2023

Eager to age

 Many years of going to the same doctor for regular follow-ups is nothing new for someone suffering a long term ailment. The familiarity of the doctor, and the sense of a mutually-understood history  outweighs the benefits of all the health apps mushrooming since the pandemic . 


It was one such occasion last week, when I visited Dr. Sushma at her hospital OPD. 


She held on to her usual charm, and witty small-talk while organising the endoscopy machine. 


Lining up the correct camera, the right size and tilt of the probe, setting up the display, ensuring accurate patient details, optimal distance between hers and my chair - it is a process with tiny details. It is re-assuring to watch her organising it all meticulously and with a sense of ease.


The long optical cable running down from the probe to the controller tangles through the wheels of rolling chairs. The video observation unit and the control unit are stacked up in a rack. The loosely dangling cables under the feet of the doctor, patient and attendants necessitates a round of safety and integrity check before use. 


Dr. Sushma has been an expert at it. She has the composure to handle the machine with all its strings-attached without the slightest hint of visible struggle. 


Being an engineer I pay close attention to machinery being used around me. The endoscopy machine has not evolved much over last decade. How I wish I converted that cable to a wireless link and instantly untangle the space ?? !!


My wife, who accompanies me to all the follow ups was observing another ‘entanglement’. Doctor’s ‘dupatta’. 

She asked Dr. Sushma a sincere question , “Isn’t the ‘dupatta’ inconvenient for you ? One more flowing piece to manage. I notice you working to keep it out of the way”. 


Dr. Sushma smiles while violently agreeing with that, “Oh Yes ! Very inconvenient. But I have to have this on while I am in the hospital OPD”. 


She went on to add, “I look small and young if I do not put the ‘dupatta’ on. Many patients and their attendants think I am ‘inexperienced’. In our profession more the age, better the acceptance by the patients. 


On the other hand, being a woman, and if I wear gowns, or an easy to handle T-Shirt, most patients will just form an opinion on their own, “She is only in to dressing up nicely.”. 


She kept on examining  the images on the screen while going through her ordeal of handling her ‘dupatta’, the ‘necessary evil’ part of her dress code. 


“I have been doing this for nine years since my post graduation. But I am not experienced enough because I look young !” -  She kept her smile through the monologue. 


‘Good thing is, I have started greying naturally. This will soon add to the perception of being experienced’ - She chuckled as she completed the procedure. 


The hint of angst was easy to detect in her narrative of the public perception of young looking doctors. 


“I can use ageing in a positive way”. - Dr. Sushma kept her instrument down and headed back to writing her observations on her note pad. 


“Well.. how young are you ? 60 ?” - She asked in a tongue-in-cheek banter. 

“Won’t that be fabulous if you keep me up and going till 60?” - I smiled back !!  She did not need that bit of information from me. 

A clear advantage of having a long doctor patient relationship. 


“Of course I too can use ageing a lot more positively. Make that two of us”. - I thanked her and got up to make room for others in waiting. 

No comments: