Friday, April 11, 2014

Management Comodity

Since long I ve been nourishing this idea in my head, that the IT industry management professional is becoming a commodity. While the true on-the-ground skills like coding, testing, troubleshooting have become very difficult to find.

The counter argument I heard from managers is, you get a lot of engineers too, may be not many who have that spark of applicability to business (not spark of brilliance - those are destiny's children !).

But then same goes back to management too - Most managers today work in the same level of creativity and spark of applicability to the business. A few 2-5% make solid, soaked transition to a brand of leadership which is again rare.

So, that was all theory on a foundation of gut-feel and 360 observation.

And now I ve good data points to prove a lot of it.

We are building a grounds up team, with new energy and new charter. I have openings for both technical leaders as well as managers.

And for  manager posts I have probably 10 people for each post who have already approached me, but for technical people, hardly a handful !!!

And, managers when approach, ask me how do they grow in this new business. The technical leads, ask what would we build ? How is it going to be different that others ?

With the industry maturing, we should pause and think, are we (the managers) managing ourselves (our expectations vs. value add) well ? Are we seeing that we are out-dating ourselves ? its a matter of just few years, I can sense the movement sweeping the industry and managers feeling the heat of  even landing a decent job !!


No comments: