Sunday, June 5, 2011

Selling experience ..

Cloisonne handicraft in China is very famous and extremely pretty. I saw quite a few in a good shop, but did not buy any. There was some amount of intention in me to get one, but for some reason ended up not getting any.

Next day - on my way back from "Great wall of China" - in the rural area, I stopped by a "Cloisanne" factory. It has chambers for each phase of copper-smith, coloring, polishing etc. You see one piece getting done over a day. The pipeline, the people who work, the fire, the furnace, the artist, the molten metal and the stone colors.

Right next to it there is a counter with perfecting English speaking sales person and symbols saying "all sorts of credit cards accepted".

The same piece I could not convince my self to buy, ended up buying at this place. It was a holistic purchase of "experience" - not just the final product !

After a long day - heading to an open kitchen restaurant, where we are going to point to the raw material that would be cooked  behind transparent glasses. Another "experience" purchase I guess !!



No comments: