Thursday, August 26, 2010

Being "Instructive" !

.. in a polite (and yet very irritating) way !  

 Not sure where this new trend has surfaced from. May be some wise MBA picked it up from a copy of HBR and then it is making its rounds !

In last week itself, at least three leaders have told me "I do not have to tell you what exactly you need to do in this situation,.... " and yet went on to tell the exact set of instructions.

Other forms of that statement are -

"You know how to do this better than any one else ... however ... "

"Can't do the job for you, but ... " !

Worse, I found my self doing the same thing to one of my line managers today ;)

Anyone else sees something wrong in this approach ??? Or its just me ??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with the approach. This is classic transition from collaboration to command-and-control, which is expected when a company grows so big that it is unwilling to take risks.